RIDE DURATION/DATE: 2 Days, 22,23-Apr-2011
PARTICIPANTS/Rider: Udhaya Kumar.V, Karthik in RE Thunder Bird !!
ROAD MAP: Bangalore- Hosur – Krishnagiri -Salem– Rasipuram(New Bus stand) – Senthamangalam “Pirivu” Road(take right) – Singalandapuram – Belukkurichi – Kalappanaickenpatti, Sendhamangalam – Kollimalai (300 Km)
DISTANCE: 645 Km (Round Trip,Bangalore– Kolli Hills –Bangalore), 300Km – One Way –Bangaloreto Kolli Hills.
WHERE TO STAY: Very limited hotels available in this place, So please book your hotel before start your travel.
1. Nallathambi Resort, Semmedu Kolli Hills – 637 411, Namakal, Tamil Nadu, Phone – 94432 09842, 94432 56381, 04286-247463/247547, email – NallathambiResort@yahoo.in, web – www.nallathambiresort.weebly.com – You can stay with family.
2. P.A Holiday Inn, MoolaKadai, Semmedu, Namakkal Dt, http://www.paholidayinn.com/, EMail : email@example.com, Phone – 04286 – 247488, 04286 – 247466, +91 – 99620 05 617 – You can stay with family.
3. Malaiveedu Cottage, Valavanthinadu, V.S.Sellapa Gounder Valagam, email – firstname.lastname@example.org, 84895 80617, 94435 34264, 9786424155, 04286 247566 – You can stay with family.
4.Kudil Vedu, Tamil Nadu
5.Youth Hostal / Panchayat Union Cottages Kolli Hills, Kolli Hills Dist, Tamil nadu,India, Phone: +91-4286-247425
6. Lodge /ArrowMansion, Kolli Hills, Opposite to Semmedu Bus Stand, Tamil nadu,
Phone: +91-4286-247494, 04286 – 247494, 9443694907 – You can’t stay with family in this place. Its having just room for sleep.
ABOUT : Kolli Hills or Kolli Malai (Tamil: கொல்லி மலை) is a small mountain range located in central Tamil Nadu inIndia. The Kollihills is a sub taluk and forms a part of Namakkal district. Semmedu is the headquarters for the Kolli hills and Semmedu is connected by road to Namakkal andSalem.
The mountains are about 1000 to 1300 m in height and cover an area of approximately 280 km. The Kolli Hills has 70 hair pin bends to reach the top of the hills. The Kolli Hills are part of the Eastern Ghats, which is a mountain range that runs mostly parallel to the east coast of South India. The mountains are relatively untouched by commercial tourism and still retain their natural beauty.
The Kolli Hills are featured in several works of classical Tamil literature such asSilappathigaram, Manimekalai, Purananuru and Ainkurnuru. The region was ruled by Valvil Ori around 200 A.D., who is praised as one of the seven great philanthropists of ancient Tamil Nadu.
The hills are covered with evergreen forests, but increasing areas of forests have been cleared for farming. Important farm products of the mountain ranges include coffee, tea, jackfruit, pineapple, black pepper and other spices.
PLACE TO SEE:
1. Agasa Gangai Water falls (Main Attraction): Agaya Gangai is famous and very attractive water falls in Kolli malai. Agaya gangai waterfall is 300 feet from the river Aiyaru. It is situated near Arappaleeshwarar temple.
4. Selur View Point (Main Attraction): Selur view point is one of the most panoramic spots in Kolli malai.
6. Boat House: Its very small.
7. Botanical Garden
8. Seekuparai viewpoint
9. Siddhar caves: Siddhar cave is where the medicine sages once resided. Some caves are small and can hold only two people at a time. Some people have chanced across mortars and stones that were used by these ancient medicine men. The nearby groves abound in medicinal herbs.
22-Apr-2011, 07:00 AM: Started fromBangalore
22-Apr-2011, 12:00 PM: Reached kolli hills, then we realized there is just having 4 hotels and already booked. Finally we got one room at Malaiveedu Cottage and checked-in.
This is not typical tourist/commercial place and you won’t see any tourist at all. So there is not much hotels to stay, but we can book at advance and go there. If you want justromearound the mountain, where you don’t want to see much people, then kolli hills will be perfect choice for week end. It’s series of mountain which contain 750 villages and 140 panchayat.
22-Apr-2011, 03:00 PM: we went to Agasa Gangai Water falls, this is main attraction in Kolli hills. We needs to claim down 1000 steps to reach this water falls. Yes offcoruse its easy to go down and little difficult come back. Near by we can see ArappaleeswarTemple & MiniFalls.
23-Apr-2011, 08:00 AM: We visited to View Point, Boat House and Botanical Garden. View point was good.
23-Apr-2011, 11:30 AM: Started our ride back to Banglaore.
23-Apr-2011, 06:00 PM: Reachedbangalore.
By Udhaya Kumar.V , Udhaya@udhaya.com